A functional furnace is a necessity in South Jersey where harsh winters are a reality—but what should you do if your furnace leaves you out in the cold? Making the decision of whether to repair or replace your existing heating equipment is one you shouldn’t make lightly, and which should be based on a number of options that can affect the comfort, health, and safety of your home and family.
When To Repair Your Furnace
While routine annual maintenance and regular filter changes can prevent a number of problems with your furnace, you may still encounter issues from time to time. When faced with the dilemma of whether to repair or replace your furnace there are a number of cases where repair is best, including those listed below:
- Age. If your furnace is less than 10 years old, repair is likely your best option and issues that arise are not necessarily indicative of future performance.
- Efficiency. If your furnace is able to sufficiently and consistently warm your home a repair may be the most cost effective option.
- Investment. If your furnace is 10 years old or less and the cost of the repair is less than one-third the cost of a replacement furnace, repairing is the logical choice.
- Cost. Rising energy costs are a bad sign, but if your energy bills are staying within acceptable parameters, we recommend scheduling repair.
When To Replace Your Furnace
No one likes to think about the cost associated with replacing a major component of their HVAC system, but if you consider your new furnace as an investment and calculate how much you can save in the long run, you’ll see that it is money well spent. The question is: how do you know when it’s time to replace, rather than repair your furnace? Consider the following:
- Age. With an average lifespan of around 20 years, a furnace that is approaching or past the 15 year mark is often more cost effective to replace.
- Frequency of repairs. Frequent, costly repairs are a sign that your furnace may be at the end of its life cycle.
- Cost. With repairs over $500 on a furnace that is over 10 years old, you may never see a return on your investment. Consider putting that money towards a more efficient furnace where you can save that amount in reduced energy costs over the course of just a few years.
- Size. A furnace that is too large for your home wastes a great deal of energy and has a shortened lifespan due to excessive wear and tear on parts. A furnace that is too small is unable to meet the demand for heat. If your furnace is improperly sized, you’re better off to replace it rather than continue to funnel money towards repairs.
- Long term plans. If you’re planning to remain in your home for several more years, consider upgrading to a high-efficiency furnace for worry-free heating, a reduction in energy and repair costs, and increased comfort.
Furnace Replacement & Repair in Somers Point
When you choose McAllister, you’re making the smartest decision for your system. Our technicians are skilled and experienced heating professionals who can efficiently install a new heating system or repair your existing one. We’ll identify the issue, fix it, and you can get on with your life. If you need emergency service, no worries—our HVAC repair specialists are on call all day, every day, even holidays.
For dependable heating system installation, maintenance, or repair in South Jersey, choose McAllister. Contact us online or give us a call at 877-665-7577 to schedule service.