Humidifiers are a great way to keep your South Jersey home feeling cozy and static free, as well as an awesome way to get some really nice health benefits, too. But as a unique system, they also come with some unique problems—not the least of which being a funky, gunky odor. What causes this, and what can you do to remedy it? The experts at McAllister are here today with the answers!
Looking to gain the advantages of a home humidifier for your Somers Point home? Contact the experts at McAllister to set up your appointment!
What Causes Funky Humidifier Smells?
The ultimate culprit is moisture. Humidifiers tend to move quite a bit of it around. It’s in the reservoir, it’s moving through your air, and that’s great and all, since that’s literally how they operate—but that same moisture can be what is causing your funky odors. Why? Well, because of:
- Mold growth and bacteria. The reservoir in your whole-home humidifier houses a considerable amount of water, and if left alone for too long without a cleaning, this water can stagnate and become a breeding ground for mold and gross bacteria. This problem only worsens over time, and results in not only an ineffective South Jersey humidifier, but in a sickly, rancid odor that will permeate your home.
- Stagnant water and mineral deposits. Using the wrong water, or the same water for too long, can also lead to complications and odd smells. Water with a high mineral content carries a bunch of sulfur and sodium, both of which can begin collecting on the inside and around your humidifier system. When in high enough concentrations, these minerals will stink for serious, and can stick to your home like the nastiest of glue.
Okay, So What Do I Need to Do?
There are a couple of surefire steps to take in order to ensure you don’t get those nasty odors in your New Jersey home. Luckily, you won’t need much time or effort—these are fast and easy, and the benefits are big!
- Use distilled water in your whole-home dehumidifier. Distilled water has had the majority of its common minerals removed, which makes for purer, cleaner water that discourages noxious buildup in your system. This is the best preventative measure you can take, so be sure to do it!
- Clean and maintain your humidifier frequently. Humidifiers should be routinely cleaned, and more often if you rely heavily on your South Jersey humidifier. To clean it safely, you needn’t even rely on costly products—vinegar or a lemon water solution works great.
- Change your humidifier filter. If your humidifier uses a filtration system, be sure to change the filter frequently! When the filter goes without changing, it becomes a breeding ground for mold and harmful bacteria, which are not only smelly, but can create health complications, too.
Whole-Home Humidifier Installation in South Jersey
Looking for a way to keep allergies at bay, while also boosting your comfort and even HVAC efficiency? Install a home humidifier system! The experts at McAllister can help you select the ideal system to meet your needs, and our installation services guarantee perfection. Contact us online to learn more, or to set a date for your consultation!