Although New Jersey has an excellent rating for low use of energy per capita, you can always benefit by considering new technologies for further containing household energy costs in your own New Jersey residence. On a statewide level, New Jersey’s average energy use for water heating is equivalent to the national usage. Approximately 18 percent of your home energy budget is probably related to hot water needs, but tankless water heaters may provide you with an excellent means of reducing this usage.
What Are Tankless Water Heaters?
A tankless unit provides on-demand water heating rather than heating a standby supply of water in a large tank. A heating element quickly brings cold water to the desired temperature, delivering the supply only when it is needed. This type of system ensures that you will heat only the amount of water needed.
Benefits of Tankless Water Heater Installation
There are many advantages in going tankless as you consider your options for water heater installation. These include:
- Minimal energy loss – a tank holding a standby supply of hot water can lose energy through the tank wall.
- Small sizing – the lack of a tank makes a tankless unit more compact, easier to install in tight spaces.
- Ample hot water – when the hot water is depleted from a tank unit, you can be faced with limitations on household activity, especially showering or bathing. A tankless system provides hot water for the duration of the activity.
- Fuel of choice – you have the choice of gas or electric water heating in a tankless unit.
- Longer life – a tankless system can last in excess of 20 years, up to 10 years longer than a traditional unit.
Limitations of Tankless Systems
Although this type of system is an excellent choice for many conservation-minded homeowners, it is important to note that homes with high usage of hot water may not be sufficiently served with a single tankless unit. If your demand at a given time will exceed the flow of the unit, you may need to install one or more units to compensate. However, this may provide an even longer life of service from each unit.
McAllister is available to help you determine whether this type of water heater installation is appropriate for your home. Explore our water heater solutions online, or contact us at 609-927-4122 and speak to one of our technicians.